By Witness Editorial
Traders in Kinoni town, Kinoni town council Lwengo district are counting losses after fire destroyed three shops last night.
The incident happened at around 2am, according to southern region police spokesperson, Muhammad Nsubuga, by the time the police fire brigade reached at the scene, fire had destroyed most of the merchandise to ashes and no item was rescued.
“Most of the merchandise were burnt to ashes by the time police reached the scene but police put out fire from spreading to other shops.”
According to Nsubuga , they have established that the fire outbreak might have been as a result of short circuit, ”We have established that the proper cause of the fire could have been as a result of short circuit and it gutted the shops,” this he adds could have been a result of poor wiring.
The most affected shop belonged to Sakka Kato and Noah Wasswa aged 35. The total loss according to Wasswa is worth shs100m.
The shops were dealing in electronics, and food items owned by two twins popularly known as “The Twins shop” which was one of the biggest shops in the area.
Noah Wasswa says, they have lost goods worth shs100m in the fire that gutted their shop into ashes. “We have lost things amounting to almost 100m, by the time they informed us about the incident; it was hard to save our merchandise because fire had burnt them. We do not know what real caused the fire outbreak” he said
One of the eyewitnesses, Hamidu Nsamba, a resident of the area informed this reporter that the fire started at around 2:00 am and by the time the owners noticed, it was too late. He added that the fire continued up to almost 6:00am.
The fire brigade from Masaka central police station rushed to the scene but could not save anything as the fire had already destroyed everything.