MOH decries malicious attacks

PS Diana Atwine

PS Diana Atwine

By URN

The Ministry of Health has criticized a section of the public of defaming top managers in the ministry. 

This follows an incident on Monday in which an unidentified protester riding on a motorcycle dropped a small coffin at Mulago Hill Road with placards calling for the resignation of Permanent Secretary Dr Diana Atwine over mismanagement of COVID-19 funds. 

Emmanuel Ainebyoona, the MOH Senior Public Relations Officer said the demonstrators ought to have used proper channels to seek accountability for the money dispensed to the Ministry for the COVID-19 response.
‘The demonstrators would have used right channels to express their dissatisfaction to seek accountability than the unbecoming ones that using of late,’ he said   

Speaking specifically about the donations made by people during the first wave of COVID-19 last year where 29.6 Billion Shillings was collected, Ainebyoona says they procured vehicles where over one hundred have arrived in the country and are expecting others.

Atwine declined to speak about the protest because she was held up in a long meeting.

Atwine was also seen last month in a video that circulated widely on social media where President Museveni complained that her team did not heed his advice of stocking hospitals across the country with Intensive Care Unit (ICU) beds to handle the pressure caused by COVID-19.

But Ainebyoona says that the process to procure ICU facilities is ongoing. The plan he says each regional referral hospital will have ten beds by the end of the exercise. 

Luke Owoyesigire, the Kampala Metropolitan Police Deputy Spokesperson  said that they already have details of the protestor who dumped the empty coffin.


SHARE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.