Police again Block Kyagulanyi’s Campaign in Jinja

Three weeks after he was brutally arrested from his campaign venue in Luuka district, presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu held a successful campaign rally in the eastern Uganda district but under police watch.

The National Unity Platform  (NUP) who was arrested on November 18 moments after his arrival at Luuka district headquarters and detaine at Nalufenya police station in Jinja, made a triumphant return to the district to drum up support for his 2021 presidential candidacy as well as othet NUP candidates.

From Luuka, Kyagulanyi continued to Kamuli where he had another equally big public gathering but still under police watch.

The police under the command of Kiira regional police commander, Dauda Hiriga would however not allow him to  campaign in Jinja.

This is the second time security organs are accused of blocking Kyagulanyi’s campaigns within Jinja city in less than a week, the first one being the incident which occurred on  December 1 when soldiers were seen shooting towards his personal vehicle en route to the campaign venue, causing him a flat tyre.

Police had earlier on deployed heavily in the major towns within Jinja district ahead of the much anticipated Kyagulanyi’s campaign rally as his youthful supporters were dressed in red T-shirts thronged the campaign venue in wait of their candidate.

Kyagulanyi campaigned successfully in the districts of Luuka and Kamuli without facing off with security organs but on reaching Buwenge trading center in Jinja district, police fired teargas to disperse his waiting supporters.

They later directed him to access his campaign venue through Mutai trading center only to be intercepted in Lukolo village about five kilometers away from the Jinja-Kamuli highway.

A team of counter terrorism police personnel led Frank Mwesigwa, the officer overseeing elections in sub regions of Busoga and Bukedi fired live rounds of ammunition and teargas to disperse Kyagulanyi’s supporters.

In scuffle which lasted for close to three hours from around 4:00pm-7:00pm, Mwesigwa ordered for a search in all Kyagulanyi’s campaign vehicles and arrested four of his supporters who were later released without any charge.

RPC Hiriga declined to comment about the matter.

Kyagulanyi told journalists that it was unfair for police officers to direct him use rural access routes yet they set traps of destabilizing his campaign schedules along the way.

Kyagulanyi further says that he will reschedule his Jinja city campaign debut.

He was later escorted back to his home amidst tight security as police officers were seen firing teargas to disperse supporters who were waving to him along the roadsides.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.