Seven years later, state fails to find Joan Kagezi’ murderers

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP)Jane Frances Abodo  has  regreted the unsolved murder of former Principal State Attorney Joan Kagezi.

Kagezi, the lead prosecutor in the trial of 15 men accused of a deadly twin bomb attack by the Al-Shabaab, was shot dead in March 2015 in Kiwatule, as she drove home.

Kagezi was in charge of the International Crime Division in the office of the DPP, handling crimes such as terrorism, war crimes, and trafficking in persons. 

 She was also working with the Police in the prosecution of those accused of killings, robberies, and terrorism in the Busoga region and Kampala.

However, seven years later, no suspect has been charged. Some of the suspects who were arrested were released for lack of evidence.

Addressing Journalists on Friday ahead of the Joan Kagezi Memorial Symposium, Justice Abodo says that she regrets why the case has remained unsolved for seven years. 

She is however hopeful that her killers will be captured since investigations are ongoing. 

Last year, President Museveni said Kagezi’s killers were hiding abroad but the International Police-Interpol had not brought them into the country.

The Joan Kagezi 5th Memorial Week is scheduled to start from April 25-28 under the theme ‘Human Trafficking Challenge: Addressing Emerging Trend.

According to Deputy DPP James Owere Odumbi, the event is meant to recognize Kagezi for her contribution to the fight against Transnational Organized Crime and Trafficking Persons in Uganda.

SHARE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.